Last week, we posted a blog highlighting British Columbia’s regulations for cannabis legalization. In today’s post, we will provide a detailed summary of the rules pertaining to public consumption of non-medical cannabis as set out in the Cannabis Control Regulation under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act (the “Act”), which will take effect on October 17, 2018. The rules set out for public consumption of non-medical cannabis are in addition to the rules already established in the Act. Some of the rules prohibit smoking and vaping cannabis, while other rules prohibit the consumption of cannabis in any form (for instance, edibles products and oils).
Smoking or Vaping in Indoor Public Places
People are prohibited from smoking or vaping in indoor public places, except for the following two circumstances:
- A person in care or a resident may smoke or vape cannabis in a designated room for smoking or vaping cannabis within a community care facility, assisted living residence or hospital; and
- A registered hotel guest may smoke or vape cannabis in a room or designated building, subject to the hotel’s discretion.
Smoking or Vaping in Provincial, Regional and Municipal Parks
People are prohibited from smoking or vaping in provincial parks, except within areas of a park where it is permitted to smoke tobacco, hold lighted tobacco, use an e-cigarette or hold an activated e-cigarette.
As for regional and municipal parks, people are only permitted to smoke or vape cannabis within a place that is designated as a campsite.
Consumption of Cannabis on Boats and Vehicles
Consumption of cannabis is only permitted on a boat if the following conditions are met:
- the person consuming cannabis is a passenger and the consumption takes place in an assigned enclosed cabin on a commercially operated boat;
- the boat has permanent sleeping accommodations, cooking facilities and a toilet;
- the boat is being used as a permanent or temporary private residence; and
- the boat is moored or anchored.
However, the boat operator has the discretion to prohibit cannabis consumption.
Consumption of cannabis is only permitted in a vehicle if the following conditions are met:
- the vehicle is a motor home or other motor vehicle, a camper or trailer;
- the vehicle is being used as a permanent or temporary private residence; and
- the vehicle is parked in an area where camping is permitted, however the vehicle may not be parked on a highway or an industrial road.
Miscellaneous Consumption Rules
- People are not permitted to smoke or vape cannabis on public patios;
- Cannabis consumption is not permitted on sidewalks or boulevards adjacent to a school property; and
- No smoking or vaping of cannabis is permitted within six metres of doorways, windows, air intakes of public buildings, bus stops or bus shelters.